Sunday 25 November 2018

Critical Reflection 1


As I mention in my blogspot, my biggest weakness is with my writing and communication skill.  For the past months, I have learnt to listen attentively to Professor during lessons and group members during discussion to observe their communications skills. I have also tried to engage in short talks with friend of different personalities so that I could built up my confidence when speaking with others. I have learnt from them how to contribute constructively during the conversation. As for written communication skills, I will make an extra effort to do a spell and grammar checks to make sure that my words are communicating the intended message.  Reading periodical has also become part of my daily routine before bed. I have since make a little progress and is still working hard to improve myself.


As for project learning, I would think that working together in a multidisciplinary team is never easy as we have different strength and weakness. The initial challenge that we faced was we need to accommodate to each other’s schedule with a timeline. How to allocate who does which part of the project was tough as we are relatively new to each other, we do not know each other’s strength and weaknesses. This however is also a learning curb for us. We learnt to communicate, collaborate and compromised during each project meet up session.  We have also learnt to solve disagreements amicably. Together we learnt from each other presentation skills. I learnt how to speak and articulate clearly so that the audience could hear and understand me. As for writing skills, my peers had been very helpful in correcting my sentences structure to keep my points clear. This assignment has inspired me to think critically and has brought me a level up from polytechnic years.

Our group presented on Clean Air Environment. My task in this assignment was to research and write about disadvantage of using the Electronics Precipitators and the counter solutions for the disadvantages.  During the day on our presentation, I had to present this part of the assignment.

My strengths on doing this project is that I’m able to communicate clearly to the audience on my part which explains the Limitations and the Counter solutions of using the device. My voice projection was audible and the audience were able to understand my presentation.

My greatest weakness in the presentation was again my communication skill and phobia in public speaking. I have ideas but was unable to explain and express myself in front of public. My stage fright resulted in my stiff body language and social anxiety had limited my eye contacts with the audience. I am working very hard to overcome on these weaknesses and hope to improve by practicing with my peers so that I could do better in my other presentations.

The main key take aways from this project is diversity of perspectives. Each of us are from different backgrounds and each of them contributed their knowledge generously towards the project. I have learnt to communicated and evaluate ideas and information so as to apply them effectively.  Collaboration skills is another key take away, we are reliant on each other to accomplish the assignment. I have learnt how to co-operate and be receptive to others’ opinions and comments. I truly appreciate my group members who constantly need to correct my grammar and sentence structure. I was very thankful to my group member.






2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this final reflection, Nicholas. I appreciate your effort with this assignment, apparent in the concrete detail of the response. I'm very happy to read how your project work involved so much collaboration. It also is heartening to know that you feel you have develeoped so many different skills.

    Your vodcast should be uploaded as a different post, please.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey at SIT and beyond.

    ReplyDelete